Welcome! This is the website for the research group headed by Prof. Jonathan Makela in the remote sensing and space sciences group at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We focus on understanding the dynamics of the ionosphere using a combination of optical and radio techniques. This is accomplished through instrument development, experimental campaigns, and data analysis. Our group is part of the Remote Sensing & Space Science group in the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering. We are always looking for students interested in becoming involved in our research, especially those with a background in signal/image processing, plasma physics, or optical/radio instrument design.
Our research takes us all around the world. We are currently conducting experiments on two continents, with funding to set up sites at additional locations in the near future. See the map below for our past, current, and future locations.
- Read Dan Fisher's paper describing long-term measurements of thermospheric neutral winds over Brazil and Morocco (http://t.co/wC0FW8qAA8) — 8 months 4 weeks ago
- Congratulations to Brian Harding for passing his preliminary examination yesterday! — 10 months 1 week ago
- Congratulations to Tim Duly, who will receive AGU's 2015 Basu United States Early Career Award for Excellence in Sun-Earth Systems Science. — 11 months 3 weeks ago
- Another busy CEDAR for the airglow group. 1 prize lecture, 1 session convened, 6 talks, and 8 posters (including 2 poster winners)! — 12 months 4 days ago
- Congratulations to Matthew Grawe for winning the undergraduate poster competition at this year's CEDAR workshop! — 12 months 4 days ago
In the Media
Matthew Grawe wins the CEDAR poster competitionTuesday, October 27, 2015 - 16:14
ECE Illinois has a story on the research Matthew Grawe is working on to understand tsunami-ionosphere coupling.
Prof. Makela gives Saturday Engineering for Everyone seminarMonday, March 16, 2015 - 10:36
Prof. Makela's seminar on "Earthquakes, tsunamis... and space?" can be viewed on Youtube.
Prof. Makela quoted in Science Magazine and Popular MechanicsThursday, October 2, 2014 - 08:41
College of Engineering article on Airglow@IllinoisThursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:59
The College of Engineering is carrying an article on some of the projects we are conducting.
ECE Illinois story on Morocco deploymentFriday, January 17, 2014 - 10:37
ECE Illinois is carrying a story on the deployment of RENOIR to Morocco.